The end picture is starting to come into focus for the K League Classic. The first round of the Challenge playoffs was held, who came out on top? And we have a KFA Cup champion! Was it favorites Seoul, or underdog Seongnam?
K League Classic Results
Suwon Samsung 1-2 Jeonbuk Motors
Ulsan Hyundai 0-1 Jeju United
Gyeongnam FC 0-1 Busan IPark
Jeonnam Dragons 3-1 Sangju Sangmu
- Jeonbuk claimed a late winner to put one final stamp on their title season, defeating nearest challengers Suwon 2-1 at the Big Bird.
- Jeju made one final push to keep, mathematically at least, their AFC Champions League hopes alive as they saw off Ulsan.
- Busan confirmed their place in the top flight next year as they pushed Gyeongnam back into the relegation mix.
- Jeonnam came back to life for a game at least to virtually assure a direct return to the Challenge for the army team.
K League Classic Table – Round 37[table “” not found /]
K League Challenge – Playoff 1st Round
Gangwon FC 0-1 Gwangju FC
- More playoff heartbreak for Gangwon. The side was relegated through the playoffs last season, and they failed to use the same medium to achieve promotion this year.
- Gwangju will advance to the 2nd round of the playoffs (next weekend), where they will take on Ansan Korea Police.
KFA Cup – Final
FC Seoul 0-0 (aet) Seongnam (2-4 PSO)
As you can probably tell from the pictures. Seongnam FC defeated FC Seoul 4-2 on penalties to win the 2014 Korean FA Cup. Seongnam will also claim Korea’s fourth AFC Champions League spot, and will participate next season. For Seoul, it means that they must now overhaul Pohang (the two meet midweek) for the last remaining qualification spot for next season.