The match ends 3-1. Overall, some very promising plays from Korea, but not enough communication in the midfield and in the final third. Our defense was lackluster as well. Today’s match will serve as a reality check for Uli Steilike. Anyhow, here are my personal player ratings for this match. Feel free to challenge them in the comments section below.
1. Kim Seung-Gyu (6) Could’ve done better with his position although he didn’t receive much backline support from his teammates.
2. Cha Du-Ri (7.5) The best performing player on the pitch. Showed lots of pace and energy.
3. Kim Joo-Young (5.5): Poor performance. Should have dealt with the second goal better.
4. Jang Hyun-Soo (6): Used as holding midfielder (again) for today’s match. Lacks technical mobility to support other players.
5. Kim Young-Gwon (6.5): Average performance in the backline, although there were times when Costa Rica fredded through the defense.
6. Kim Min-Woo (7): His shot should have went in. So close to scoring. Exactly what Korea needs.
7. Nam Tae-Hee (7): Made some nice runs to goal. Potential is there.
8. Ki Sung-Yueng (7.5): Solid team performance. Did his job well. Deserved a last minute goal.
9. Lee Chung-Yong (6): Definitely not the same performance we saw in the last match. Almost invisible.
10. Son Heung-Min (8): Had quite a game. Nice assist for LDG. Again, pressure from the fans might be getting to him?
11. Lee Dong-Gook (7): Really slowed the offense at times, but equalized for Korea just before the break. Tried harder in the second-half but not enough.
1. Park Joo-Ho: Not enough time. Subbed off.
2. Han Kook-Young (6): No communication with his teammates. Couldn’t do much really.
3. Han Gyu-Won: Not enough time.
4. Lee Yong: Not enough time.
Uli Steillike (7): Won’t trash talk him. Our performance has improved since Brazil, and this was just a friendly. Any intelligent coach would use this game as a reference since all of our defensive and offensive problems were outlined. He definitely knows what needs to improve and what it will take for Korea.